Hello friends! It’s been sooo long since I’ve posted something, anything and I feel awful about it! The holidays chewed me up and spit me out and now I’m ready to get back into the normalcy of life. After two weeks of a stay-cation where I cooked, baked, wrapped, oh and shopped, I’m finally able to think outside of the Holiday Chaos and look forward to some home projects that I’ve been putting off for months.
I’ve decided to take on my kitchen! Ok, so, we’ve lived in our house for about 4 1/2 years now and the kitchen hasn’t been touched since we moved in. Of course, there are new blinds and other decorative elements that have changed a bit over the past few years but I’ve not painted (other than touch ups), updated hardware or replaced my hideous countertops like we said we would when be bought the place. I hated the kitchen when we moved in and vowed it would be one of the first projects we’d take on and 4 1/2 years later it’s pretty much exactly how we found it.
Here is a quick list of the things I HATE about my kitchen:
- The ugly red accent walls
- The 1980’s laminate counter tops with gold speckles and gauges in them
- The absolute ZERO counter space (which I won’t be doing anything about at this point, but I thought I’d mention anyway)
- The yellowing exhaust fan
- I hate, hate, hate, my cabinets AND the hardware that is on them
- The half-assed attempt of the previous owners at the installation of laminate flooring (again we won’t be replacing these just yet…hence the word budget in the title of this post)
There is more but for the sake of putting SOME positivity out into the Universe I’ll tell you what I DO like about my kitchen:
- It’s fairly sunny
- It’s NOT small
- There is a mudroom attached
I know it’s a short list but what can I say, this is why I’m doing a makeover! If I LOVED my kitchen I wouldn’t be doing this right? If I had a working camera (it broke a few months ago and Santa didn’t bring me one for Christmas 😦 Though the HUBBY did get me a NOOK!) I would have taken some pictures. I will work on the before and after pictures eventually, as well as a mood board for what I’m planning for my kitchen. I’ll leave you with an image of what is inspiring me right now…